As moms, we all come up with ingenious little solutions once in a while and think to ourselves, “Damn, I’m smart!” And then there are those times when we have an issue and just cannot figure out a way to solve it… and then we read a mom hack or hear about how another mom solved that same issue and then we are like, “Why didn’t I think of that one??!!”
I love mom hacks. Sometime solving this simplest little issue can make a moms life so much easier. So I am creating this post to share some of my favorites with all of you. I must admit, the list is a bit short right now, but as I think of ones that have really worked for me, or think of/hear about new ones I will definitely be sharing them here!
I am also open to any suggestions or hacks that work great for you! Knowledge is power (and sanity) so, please share your knowledge with us. Sometimes us moms just need a little HELP!
- For the baby who wants to start climbing out of the crib:
- If the back of the crib is higher than the front rail, turn the crib around to place the lower front side against the wall. They usually cannot get out over the higher back side.
- Another solution for a climbing baby is to keep them in a sleep sac for as long as possible. My daughter figured out how to get out of it by unzipping so now I put it on backwards! I place her arms in first and zip it in the back! Im sure little Houdini will figure out an escape trick soon, but for now this works!
- For a new sleeper in a toddler or big kid bed: To keep them rolling off the edge, buy two of those long noodles that you use in the pool and stick them underneath the sheets at the edges of the bed. These will act as bumpers and keep your child from rolling onto the floor!
GETTING A CHILD TO TAKE MEDICINE
- Depending on how bad the medicine tastes, I have mixed them in with something my child loves, including ice cream!
- Sometimes I will mix the medicine with a little bit of raw honey on a spoon so they get the sweet flavor right after the yucky one!
- Chase yucky medicines with a yummy flavored lollipop! My favorite brand is YumEarth!
- If pants or jeans are too big in the waist and have belt loops, I cut a hair tie open and tie the back two loops together. Put a longer shirt on so you cannot see this in the back and pants stay up… Voila!
- A roll of blue painters tape can be your best friend when you travel. I use this to baby proof a hotel room in a flash! I cover any electrical outlets that can be reached by my busy toddlers. Also, I use it to tape towels or something soft over any points that can be harmful, like the edges of dressers or desks, etc. The best part of this tape is that it comes off super easily and doesn’t leave any marks on the walls!
ARTS & CRAFTS
- Use an empty baby wipe containers to store arts & crafts supplies! We use them for crayons, glue sticks, pom poms, paint brushes, play dough and any other little art supplies. On a rainy day, break out one of these boxes and let the creativity begin!! Plus, kids love cleaning up because they love sticking the crayons through the “magic chute” (aka, the little hole that you pull the wipes through!)
Feel free to comment with more & I will be adding soon!!